Ethics and Humanitarian Research:
Generating Evidence Ethically
25–26 March 2019
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
The conference organisers have extended the call for abstracts for poster presentations that address ethical challenges while generating evidence and conducting research in humanitarian settings or that explore key concepts in the ethics of humanitarian work and research. Posters can draw from personal experiences, case studies, research findings, or conceptual inquiries. One aim of the conference is to put those involved in evidence-generation and research in humanitarian contexts in conversation with ethicists examining the distinctive normative implications of such contexts. We are particularly interested in innovative and constructive approaches to ethical issues and policies that practically assist those in the field.
Possible topics include:
- Unexpected ethical issues that arose in humanitarian research
- Practical ways to address ethics in humanitarian research
- Community engagement and its ethical opportunities and challenges
- Developing policies and guidelines to address ethics in humanitarian research
- Cultural sensitivity and community collaboration in humanitarian research
- Ethical challenges when research is conducted in conflict settings
- Conducting time-sensitive research with vulnerable populations
- Addressing urgency ethically in disaster research
Any topic that addresses the broad aims and themes of the conference will be considered. Further information on the conference aims, speakers and specific issues being addressed is available here.
Submit an abstract
Those interested in presenting a printed poster at the conference should submit an abstract of no more than 250 words by March 15, 2019. Responses will be made on a rolling basis.
All fields on the webpage should be completed, including checking the button that you wish to present a poster (all oral presentation slots are filled).
Registration will be required for all attendees so that we can plan catering requirements. The registration fee will be waived for all those presenting at the conference.